Giving Birth

Planning to give birth outside the UK

If you want to give birth in another EEA country or Switzerland, you will need an S2 form to cover the birth and a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover any immediately necessary treatment that arises.

Generally, you should contact your local National Contact Point, if you plan to have medical treatment in Europe. However, to apply for an S2 covering maternity care, you need to fill in the Giving birth abroad application form, also called the S2 form, (PDF, 620kb).

Send it, with a copy of your maternity certificate (MAT B1) and any other supporting documents, to Overseas Healthcare Services at the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA).

Email your application to, or post it to:

Overseas Healthcare Services
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

If you need help or have any questions about filling in this form, call the NHSBSA on +44 (0)191 218 1999, Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.An interpretation service can be provided over the phone if English is not your first language.

Tip: It is recommended that you have adequate travel insurance as the EHIC may not cover you for every situation.

Tip: Even if you plan to give birth in the UK and you're only going for a short trip abroad, you're advised to take a valid EHIC with you. The card will provide cover for all medical treatment linked to the birth if the baby is born unexpectedly.


Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website