Residual S1s for early retirees

Changed rules from July 1 2014

What has changed?

You can now no longer apply for a residual S1 (formerly residual E106) which previously provided temporary healthcare to early retirees moving to other EEA country.

What does this mean for me?

Before moving to live abroad, it is important that you check how the healthcare system works in that country and what your entitlement will be if you intend not to work, as this varies from country to country. This means that you will have to access that country’s health system under their rules.

If you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you will no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. Most people will also not be entitled to use a UK-issued EHIC card to access healthcare abroad.

What if I already have a residual S1?

If you already have a residual S1 this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date.

What about state pensioners?

If you are a UK state pensioner this will not affect you – S1 forms will still be issued to state pensioners.

Where can I get advice?

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (DWP):
Oversease Healthcare Team
Post Handling Site A
WV98 2DW
Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am–5pm).

Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website