Complaints about care in Wales

Complaints to the NHS for residents of other EEA states.

In Wales the NHS system for dealing with complaints, claims and incidents is called Putting Things Right.

Complaints, claims and incidents are collectively known as concerns. The Putting Things Right procedure for addressing concerns has been in place since April 2011. Every NHS organisation within Wales uses this procedure. Each Health Board and NHS Trust will use this procedure whenever someone raises a concern.

The Welsh Government has a leaflet that explains the putting things right procedure. It is available in a number of European languages. Please click on the language of your choice to see this leaflet:







Other non-European language versions of the procedure are available and can be found by clicking here

As explained in the leaflet, to raise a concern you will need to contact the NHS body you have a concern about. This could be the Health Board in whose area you were treated or another NHS Trust.

You can contact the concerns team by:

  • Phoning
  • Emailing
  • Writing a letter
  • Faxing
  • Texting

The contact details fot the Health Board concerns teams can be found by using the following links:

Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board

Aneurin Bevan Health Board

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board

Cardiff & Vale University Health Board

Cwm Taf Health Board

Hywel Dda Health Board

Powys Teaching Health Board

The following NHS Trust also has concerns team:

Velindre NHS Trust

Visitor complaints against an independent healthcare provider.

If you come to Wales for private treatment from an independent healthcare service and you wish to complain about that service you should raise your concerns directly with the service provider. The regulations state that services must have a procedure in place to look fully into any complaints they receive. You or a person acting on your behalf should ask for a written copy of the complaints procedure, which should clearly set out all the stages of the local complaint process. In most cases, they should be able to resolve the matter.

If the provider fails to provide a complaints procedure or fails to keep to it you can raise the matter with the Healthcare Inspectorate Wales. They can be contacted by writing to:

Healthcare Inspectorate Wales
Bevan House
Caerphilly Business Park
Van Road
Caerphilly CF83 3ED

Or by phoning 02920 928850 during office hours.


The Healthcare Inspectorate Wales also have an online booklet about concerns and complaints. Please click here to see the booklet.

Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website