Chipping, breaking or cracking a tooth usually isn't serious. Your dentist will usually be able to treat it.

See a dentist if you or your child has:

  • chipped, cracked or broken a tooth

If a piece of tooth has broken off, put it in milk or saliva (by spitting into a container if it's your tooth, or having your child spit into a container if it's theirs) and take it to the dentist.

Don't go to your GP. They won't be able to give you dental treatment.

How to see a dentist in an emergency or out of hours:

  • call your dentist - if they're closed, their answerphone may say what to do

If you don't have a dentist or can't get an emergency appointment:

  • call NHS 111 Wales (if available in your area) or 0845 46 47 - they can advise you what to do
  • find a dentist near you - ask for an emergency appointment

What the dentist will do

Treatments for a chipped, broken or cracked tooth include:

  • gluing the fragment of tooth back on
  • a filling or a crown (a cap that completely covers the broken tooth)
  • root canal treatment for a badly broken tooth where the nerves are exposed
^^ Back to top

The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website nhs.uk
Last Updated: 06/05/2020 11:15:43