To find out what to do if you think you have symptoms, please visit Coronavirus symptom checker. Or visit our encyclopaedia page, which has general information and includes a BSL video.

NOTE: For up to date information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) visit the UK Department of Health and Social Care.


Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will allow you to access public healthcare provided in Croatia at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover your treatment until you return to the UK. It also covers treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth. If you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment, please see our section about Seeking medical treatment in Europe.

Note: You may be asked to present your passport or other travel documents as proof of identity.

Find help in emergencies

If you find yourself in a serious or life-threatening emergency or you need an ambulance, dial 112. Calls are free of charge from any phone, including mobile phones. Ambulance services are free in Croatia.

When you call emergency services in Croatia, you will have to provide the following information:

  • your name
  • the nature of the incident
  • what time the incident occurred
  • where the incident occurred
  • if there are any injured or ill people, and how severe the injuries are
  • what kind of help you're looking for (fire, ambulance, etc)

Other important phone numbers to note down:

  • 92 – police
  • 93 – fire brigade
  • 94 – ambulance services
  • 9155 – sea rescue
  • 987 – road side help (00385 1 987 from foreign mobile phones)

Health services and costs

Your EHIC does not cover private treatment so you will need to make sure you are treated by a healthcare provider that has a contract with the Croatian Health Insurance Fund – CHIF (Hrvatski zavod za zdravstveno osiguranje-HZZO).

You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

Contact the CHIF for more advice before you travel. Call 00385 1 4806 330 from the UK. The CHIF website also offers information in English, including information about:

If you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment, please see our section about Seeking medical treatment in Europe.

Doctors, dentists and pharmacies

All Croatian citizens pay a mandatory healthcare contribution. Even with your EHIC you may be asked to make a co-payment when visiting a doctor, dentists or receiving a prescription. Co-payments in these cases are generally HRK10. Make sure you have your UK passport and EHIC card with you.

If you move to Croatia long term or plan to work in the country, you'll have to pay the same healthcare contributions as a Croatian citizen and register with the CHIF. You will be asked to pay the participation in the cost of the treatment, 20% of the actual cost of the treatment.

The Croatian Health Insurance Fund does not reimburse any costs you might have been charged. In any case, keep all receipts and any paperwork (make copies if necessary) as they might be needed to apply for reimbursements with your insurance company.

If it is not an emergency, you'll have to make an appointment before you can see a doctor. Make sure the GP, dentists or pharmacy is contracted with the CHIF. You’ll have to pay a mandatory co-payment of HRK10 for each visit. Pharmacies are marked with a green cross in Croatia.

Hospital treatment

Just like in the UK, you'll need a doctor's referral for non-emergency hospital treatment. Make sure you are treated by a hospital contracted to the CHIF. When you're admitted to hospital, you'll need to present either a valid EHIC and your UK passport or prove you have registered with the CHIF to receive treatment at the same cost as a resident. For each day you stay in the hospital you’ll need to pay a HRK100 co-payment but no more than HRK2,000 for one course of treatment.

Making heathcare arrangements in advance

Although your EHIC covers the provision of oxygen, renal dialysis and routine medical care, you'll have to arrange and pre-book medical treatment before you travel. You should always consult your GP or hospital before travelling. Also ensure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider, as these are not covered by the EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You’ll also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK, however, most suppliers will be able to advices you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquid: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about how to make travel arrangements, including advice on:

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You will need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Croatia nearest to where you will be staying. You can look up UK renal units on The Renal Association website.

Ensure you make arrangements according to your UK schedule. There also may be different guidance depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel. The National Kidney Federation website offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for haemodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis

Living in Croatia

British citizens need to register their presence in Croatia with the local police within 48 hours of arrival. Failure to do so is an offence which may result in paying a fine at both the local court and the local police. If you need more information about residence in Croatia and wish to contact the authorities, you can do so by contacting the Ministry of Interior at or

Everyone who is eligible for health insurance in Croatia is registered with the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (CHIF). This is the only organisation in Croatia that deals with compulsory health insurance. Once you are registered with the relevant authorities, you are entitled to necessary medical treatment and you'll have to pay the same patient contributions as a permanent resident of Croatia.

In addition, workers and civil servants posted to Croatia normally remain covered by the UK's national insurance system. Your employer should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for the following forms:

  • A1 - this will show that National Insurance contributions are paid in the UK
  • S1 (previously E106 or E109) – this will give you and your family the same medical cover as residents of Croatia

Note: Ensure when you submit the forms that you mention relevant family members and dependants.

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - closed weekends and bank holidays


If you receive a UK state retirement pension or any other benefit that can be paid to you when you move abroad (exportable benefit), you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for form S1 (a certificate of entitlements) with the International Pension Centre. Telephone 0044 (0)191 218 7777 or textphone: 0044 (0)191 218 7280 Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm.

Once you have registered your S1 with the Croatian CHIF, you'll be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries besides the one in which you are resident, including when you return to the UK.

Early retirees

Since July 1 2014, you are no longer able to apply for a residual S1 form.
If you already have a residual S1, this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date.

For information about entitlements for students please visit the Studying in Croatia website.



Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website