To find out what to do if you think you have symptoms, please visit Coronavirus symptom checker. Or visit our encyclopaedia page, which has general information and includes a BSL video.

NOTE: For up to date information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) visit the UK Department of Health and Social Care.


Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge on the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access state-provided healthcare at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return.

Your EHIC also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit isn't specifically to give birth.

If you don't have your EHIC with you or you've lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team (+44 191 218 1999) to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

Get the EHIC smartphone app

The European Commission has developed a useful multi-language free phone app, which explains how to use the EHIC card in different countries within the EU. It summarises the treatments, costs, procedure for reimbursement, and emergency numbers.

If you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment, please see our section about Seeking medical treatment in Europe.

Find help in an emergency

If you find yourself in a medical emergency during your stay in Greece, dial 112. Emergency public ambulance services to state hospitals are free.

Other important numbers to note down:

  • 166 – ambulance services (Εθνικ? Κ?ντρο Αμεσης Βο?θειας)
  • 100 – police (?μεση Δρ?ση Αστυνομ?ας)
  • 171 – Tourist police (Τουριστικ? Αστυνομ?α)
  • 199 – fire department (Πυροσβεστικ? Υπηρεσ?α)
  • 108 – coast guard (?μεση Επ?μβαση Λιμενικο? Σ?ματος)
  • 1016 – SOS Doctors (SOS ΙΑΤΡΟΙ)
    SOS DOCTORS are a Greek organization of free-lancers, specialised doctors, with the exclusive purpose of providing 24-hour home medical services in emergencies. Note they are not covered by the EHIC.

Useful emergency words:

  • help – voithia
  • look out – prosekse
  • ambulance – asthenoforo
  • doctor – yiatros
  • police – astinomia
  • fire – fotia
  • firemen – pyrosvestes
  • do you speak English? – milate anglika?

Health services and costs

Your EHIC does not cover private treatment so you will need to make sure you are treated by a healthcare provider that has a contract with the Greek National Organisation for Healthcare Services Provision (EOPYY).

Information is also available online from the EOPYY website ( Here you can find general information on how to access healthcare, as well as contact details of EOPYY’s local offices that cover all Greek regions, and contact details of the EOPYY contracted doctors (information is in Greek only).

You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

Doctors and dentists

You should try to consult an EOPYY-contracted doctor to receive treatment for free or at a reduced cost. However, ensure you present your EHIC on the day, which entitles you to the same emergency medical treatment received by Greek nationals.

You may also consult a doctor of the newly established PEDY Units (National Primary Healthcare Network) free of charge as an EHIC holder. At PEDY Units you may also avail of a certain number of dental services, alternatively provided at limited public hospitals.

Hospital treatment

Just like in the UK, you'll need a doctor's referral for non-emergency hospital treatment. Hospital treatment is free of charge in a public hospital if you are referred by an EOPYY contracted doctor or by the hospital. For private clinics contracted with EOPYY, you will be charged with a co-payment depending on the terms of the contract. Bear in mind that you show your EHIC on admission.


Medicines prescribed by an EOPYY contracted doctor or a doctor of a PEDY Unit are dispensable by any pharmacy. You will be charged about a 25% patient charge. Charges may vary depending on the illness for which the medicament is prescribed. This is non-refundable in Greece.

You must collect your prescription within five working days of it being issued otherwise it will be invalid.

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

Although your EHIC covers the provision of oxygen, renal dialysis and routine medical care, you'll have to arrange and pre-book medical treatment before you travel. You should always consult your GP or hospital before travelling. Also ensure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider, as these are not covered by the EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You’ll also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK, however, most suppliers will be able to advices you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about how to make travel arrangements, including advice on:

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You will need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Greece nearest to where you will be staying. You can look up UK renal units on The Renal Association website.

Ensure you make arrangements according to your UK schedule. There also may be different guidance depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel. The National Kidney Federation website offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for heamodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients, and guidelines for transplant patients.

Living in Greece

If you live and work in Greece you will need a Social Insurance Number.

If you move to Greece long-term or plan to work in the country, you'll have to register with the Greek authorities and get a Social Insurance Number – AMKA in Greek. It is essential for those who plan to work, to be insured, obtain medical and hospital care or receive a pension or benefits. You can get an AMKA number through your local KEP office (Citizens Service Centre – information in Greek only). Once you are registered to work in Greece and make National Insurance contributions, you'll be entitled to state-run healthcare on the same basis as a Greek national.

You’ll also have to register with the Greek National Organisation for Healthcare Services Provision (EOPYY). Information is available online from the EOPYY website ( Here you can find general information on how to access healthcare, as well as contact details of EOPYY’s local offices that cover all Greek regions, and contact details of the EOPYY contracted doctors (information is in Greek only).

Visit GOV.UK for more information about Living in Greece.

If you are a worker seconded to Greece or the family member of someone making UK National Insurance contributions, your employer should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for the following forms:

  • A1 - this will show that National Insurance contributions are paid in the UK
  • S1 (previously E106 or E109) – this will give you and your family the same medical cover as residents of Greece

Note: Ensure when you submit the forms you mention relevant family members and dependants.

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - closed weekends and bank holidays

Once issued, you submit the S1 form to the IKA/EFKA (health insurance authority) and you will be given a booklet granting you access to all the benefits in kind, the same as an insured Greek person.

If you are living in Greece and you receive a UK State Pension or any other benefit that can be paid to you when you move abroad (exportable benefit), you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for form S1 (a certificate of entitlement) from the International Pension Centre on 0191 218 7777. Once issued, you submit the S1 form to your local EOPYY office and you will be given a booklet granting you access to all the benefits in kind, the same as an insured Greek person.

Once you have registered your S1 in Greece, you'll be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries besides the one in which you are resident, including when you return to the UK.

Early retirees

Since July 1 2014 you are no longer able to apply for residual S1 form.
If you already have a residual S1 this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date.


Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website