To find out what to do if you think you have symptoms, please visit Coronavirus symptom checker. Or visit our encyclopaedia page, which has general information and includes a BSL video.

NOTE: For up to date information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) visit the UK Department of Health and Social Care.


Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access the necessary state-provided healthcare in Italy at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free when on a temporary stay. The EHIC also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions, although it does not cover you if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment. In this case, see our section about Seeking medical treatment in Europe.

The EHIC also covers you for routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

Non-EEA nationals are not covered in Italy

Find help in emergencies

If you find yourself in a serious, life-threatening emergency, you should call 112. This number is free of charge and valid in most European countries. Emergency treatment is available free or at low cost to anyone in need in Italy.

It is important that you stay calm and provide the following details when calling emergency services in Italy:

  • Who you are and your phone number
  • Describe the emergency situation
  • Specify the place of the emergency
  • Where you are and possible points of reference

Other important phone numbers to note down:

  • 112 – general emergencies (medical, fire and police)
  • 118 – ambulance (Emergenza sanitaria)
  • 113 – police (Carabineri)
  • 115 – fire brigade (Vigili del fuoco)
  • 170 – International Operator (English speaking) (Informazione internazionali)

There is no guarantee that all emergency services and doctors will speak English. If possible, have a local person assist you with your call.

Health services and costs

Your EHIC does not cover private treatment. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. They might reassure visitors that they can claim back whatever is paid out, but they are referring to private insurance and not the treatment given under the EHIC.

It's always advisable to have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. Repatriation for medical treatment is not covered by the EHIC.

 Remember to keep all receipts and any paperwork (make copies if necessary) as they might be needed by you or your insurance company to apply for any refund or reimbursement.

If you move to Italy or stay in the country for more than three months then you need to register with the National Health Services (SNN). The Italian NHS provides free or low-cost health care to everyone registered, including their families, university students and retirees.

Download the InformaSalute – Access to the NHS by foreign citizens information leaflet (PDF, 571kb) for detailed information about the Italian healthcare system, how to register with the SNN or obtain your SSN medical card which you will need to  present every time you want to use a health service.

General practitioners and paediatricians

Once you are registered with the SNN you are entitled to register with a local GP. You can find GPs in your area via your ASL office (local health authorities).

If you have children under the age of 14 then it is recommended that you also register with a paediatrician. Each GP or paediatrician has an outpatient department which guarantee free general medical examinations at the fixed hours.

Dentists and hospitals

In case of an emergency (general or dental) while on holiday in Italy visit your nearest SSN hospital or any Guardia Medica, which offers an after-hours First Aid Service. Make sure you have your EHIC card with you.

Italy treats dentistry as specialist treatments. So just like in the UK, you'll need to be referred by a doctor for any hospital or dental treatment. Make sure you are referred to a public hospital, that you have a valid EHIC or SSN medical card and double-check you are not treated as a private patient.

Hospital or dental treatments are not necessarily free of charge and you may be asked to make a patient co-payment ‘the ticket’. The cost should be marked on you GP’s referral documents.

  • Hospitals in Italy are called 'Ospedale' and have emergency rooms 24h.
  • Private hospitals are called 'Casa di cura' or 'Clinica' and do not have emergency rooms.
  • Note not all doctors and nurses in Italy are fluent in English.

Co-pay fee (ticket) exemption
The ticket is the co-pay fee provided by the SSN. The co-pay fee must be paid at the payment counter of the outpatient department or hospital before using medical services. Some particular circumstances (disability, chronic diseases, and status of inability, low income or age reasons) entitle patients to co-pay fee exemption. For further information on the requisites for exemption and on the issuing of the exemption certificate or card, you can refer to the exemption office of your ASL (local health authorities in Italy).


You can take your prescription to any pharmacy (farmacia) in Italy. They can be identified by a green cross. Prescriptions are generally not free and you are expected to make a co-payment towards it. However, some medicines are considered ‘life-savers’ and those are free of charge. Others are not covered by the SNN and you will have to pay the full costs for those.

Italian pharmacies are regulated by law, which means you will always find an open pharmacy in your area at night, holidays and Sundays. Each pharmacy displays information about its opening hours and out-of-hours emergency telephone numbers.

Bringing your own medicines to Italy

If you have a condition that requires you to bring your own medicines to Italy, you should have a letter from your GP stating what the medicines are and why you need them. If possible, have the letter translated into Italian, as this will also be useful in case you need to see a health professional during your stay. You should also carry your medicines in their original containers. Make a note of the generic scientific name of your medicines in case you need to refill them at a pharmacy.

If any of your medicines fall into the controlled drugs category, you need to comply with regulations on drug exports in the UK.

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

The most common treatments or conditions that require advanced arrangements are listed below. For all other conditions or treatments, you should consult your doctor. Remember, for all treatments abroad you must present your EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You’ll also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK, however, most suppliers will be able to advise you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about how to make travel arrangements, including advice on:

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Italy nearest to where you will be staying. The Renal Association offers a way to look up UK renal units.

TipEnsure you make your arrangements according to your UK schedule. There also may be different guidance depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel. In addition, visit the National Kidney Federation website, which offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for haemodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients, and guidelines for transplant patients.

Living in Italy

Working in Italy

If you move to Italy long-term or plan to work in the country, you'll have to make sure you register with the Italian authorities including the SSN (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale). Once you are registered to work in Italy and make National Insurance contributions, you'll be entitled to state-run healthcare on the same basis as an Italian national.

Download the InformaSalute – Access to the NHS by foreign citizens information leaflet (PDF, 571kb) for detailed information about the Italian healthcare system, how to register with the SNN or obtain your SSN medical card which you will need to present every time you want to use a health service.

If you are a worker seconded to Italy or the family member of someone making UK National Insurance contributions, your employer should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for the following forms:

  • A1 (previously E101) – this will show that NI contributions are paid in the UK
  • S1 (previously E106 or E109) – this will give you and your family the same medical cover as Italian residents

Note: Ensure when you submit the forms that you mention relevant family members and dependants.

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - closed weekends and bank holidays

Once issued, register the S1 form with your local ASL office (Azienda Sanitaria Locale – Italian health authority) before you register with your local GP surgery.

Studying in Italy

If you are coming to study or are currently studying in Italy as part of a UK-recognised course, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK government.


If you are living in Italy and you receive a UK State Pension, or any other benefit that can be paid to you when you move abroad (exportable benefit), you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for form S1 (a certificate of entitlement) from the International Pension Centre on 0191 218 7777. Once issued, register the S1 form with your local INPS (Italian Social Security) office before you register with your local GP surgery and obtain a medical card.

Once you have registered your S1 in Italy, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries outside Italy, including when you return to the UK.

Early retirees

Since July 1 2014 you are no longer able to apply for residual S1 form.
If you already have a residual S1 this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) provides useful information about what UK and Italian benefits are available to Britons living in Italy and information on driving regulations in Italy.

Prescriptions for residents

Italy uses a co-payment system where residents are required to pay a percentage of the cost of their prescription medication. If you are a pensioner and have paid more than you should have for prescription medication, speak with your pharmacist in Italy or local health authority (ASL) to confirm the process for claiming a refund.

Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website