You will be treated the same as a resident of Liechtenstein. Remember, each country’s healthcare system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

It's important to make sure you are treated by a state healthcare provider, as you will not be covered for private healthcare. You should be particularly careful if the healthcare arrangements have been made by a hotel or travel representative.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access the necessary state-provided healthcare in Liechtenstein at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free when on a temporary stay. The EHIC also covers the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions, although it does not cover you if travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment. If you are, read our section about seeking medical treatment in Europe.

The EHIC also covers you for routine maternity care, providing the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth. To do so, you will need to have an S2 form to cover the birth and an EHIC to cover any immediate treatment that is necessary.

Non-EEA nationals are not covered in Liechtenstein.

If you are going on holiday to Liechtenstein, visit your GP about eight weeks before travelling to check whether you need any travel vaccinations or other preventative measures.

There is an increased risk of tick bites in Liechtenstein from April to October. The National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) provides further travel information and advice about the potential health risks in Liechtenstein.

Find help in emergencies

Dial 112 or 144 in case of an emergency. Contact your travel insurance company immediately if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.

Other important numbers to note down:

  • 117 – police
  • 118 – fire department
  • 140 – alpine rescue

Healthcare services and costs

Liechtenstein has an excellent state-funded healthcare system. Patients have to pay a basic fee for health insurance and a percentage of the treatment costs.

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you have to pay an average of CHF 67.00 for one month's health insurance. This is a standard charge that you will have to pay, even if you're visiting Liechtenstein for less than a month.

People who have reached retirement age pay half the fee, and people aged under 20 don't pay anything.


To make full use of your EHIC, the doctor (Artzt) you see should work under the public health scheme (see Your consultation will  be covered by your health insurance. If you go to see a doctor who doesn't work under the public health scheme, you will have to pay the full cost.


There is no state-provided dental care in Liechtenstein, which means you will have to pay the full cost of any private treatment you receive. Emergency treatment is available.

Hospital treatment

There is only one hospital in Liechtenstein – the Liechtensteinisches Landesspital – in the capital, Vaduz. Apart from emergencies, admission usually needs to be approved by a doctor.

You will be charged a fee for hospital treatment. Pensioners and children pay a reduced fee.


You can buy medicines from pharmacies (Apotheke) in Liechtenstein. Prescription medication must be prescribed by a qualified doctor or consultant, and is only available from registered pharmacies, private pharmacies and the hospital pharmacy. You can get any medicines that are covered by state-provided healthcare.


The cost of ambulance travel to a healthcare establishment will be covered, as long as the establishment is contracted to the federation of health insurers.

Air Ambulance

Travel by air ambulance is covered up to a maximum amount - if your costs exceed this, you will have to pay the remaining amount yourself.


As well as the insurance fee (see above), patients usually have to pay a proportion of their healthcare costs, and there is no reimbursement. If you see a doctor who isn't registered under the public health scheme, you will have to pay the full cost in advance.

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

The most common treatments or conditions that require advanced arrangements are listed below. For all other conditions or treatments, you should consult your GP. Remember, for all treatments abroad you must present your EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. Usually, you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You will also have to make your own arrangements, including permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK; however, most suppliers can give you advice. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

BOC: covers the East and North East of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the South of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about how to make travel arrangements, including advice on:

Make sure you make all your arrangements in plenty of time before you travel.


You need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Liechtenstein nearest to where you will be staying. The Renal Association offers a way to look up UK renal units.

Make your arrangements according to your UK schedule. There also may be different guidance, depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Speak to your doctor before you travel. You should also visit the National Kidney Federation website, which offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for haemodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients and guidelines for transplant patients.

Living and/or working in Lietchenstein

The immigration laws in Liechtenstein are similar to those in Switzerland. If you're from an EU member country, you need to either have a passport or a valid EU ID card. Foreign nationals from outside the EU must have a passport and may also need a visa. It’s possible to stay in Liechtenstein for up to three months without a residence permit.

All employers and employed residents contribute to the healthcare system in Liechtenstein, which is overseen by the National Office of Health (Amt fur Gesundheit). If you live in the country itself, you're legally entitled to equal access to healthcare.

Living and working in Liechtenstein

EU nationals can work in another EU country without a work permit. However, certain conditions (external link) may apply. Working in an EU country automatically entitles you and your family to live there.

You and your family are also entitled to the same benefits as native workers from the day you start work. These include things such as reduced cost public transport, education fees and unemployment benefits. You may also be eligible for certain non-financial benefits, such as the right to an interpreter during legal proceedings.

People from countries outside of the EU will only be considered for a work permit if they have particular skills that are highly sought after.

If you have been seconded (temporarily moved somewhere for work) to Liechtenstein or are the family member of someone making UK National Insurance contributions, your employer should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to obtain the following forms:

  • A1 (previously E101) – this will show that tax and NI contributions are paid in the UK
  • S1 (previously E106 or E109) – this will give you and your family the same medical cover as Liechtenstein's residents

Charity, Assets and Residence
Room BP1301
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

For more information, visit our Moving abroad section.

Once issued, you'll need to register the S1 form with the Amt fur Gesundheit (National Office of Health). You may be asked to provide a copy of the original form and proof of identity. The address of the Amt fur Gesundheit is:

Amt fur Gesundheit
Äulestrasse 51
9490 Vaduz

Telephone: 00 423 236 7340
Website: (content available in German only)

If you move to Liechtenstein to live but not work, and you don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare cover paid for by the UK. In this case, you will need to apply for an S1 form.


If you're living in Liechtenstein and receive a UK State Pension or long-term Incapacity Benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for an S1 health form (a certificate of entitlement) from the International Pension Centre, which you can contact on 0191 218 7777. Once issued, register the S1 form with the Amt fur Gesundheit (National Office of Health) before registering with your local GP surgery and obtain a medical card.

Once you've registered your S1 in Liechtenstein, you'll be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries outside Liechtenstein, including when you return to the UK.

Find out more about working in an EU country on the European Union website.

Early retirees

From July 1 2014 you are no longer able to apply for residual S1 form.
If you already have a residual S1 this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date.

Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website