To find out what to do if you think you have symptoms, please visit Coronavirus symptom checker. Or visit our encyclopaedia page, which has general information and includes a BSL video.

NOTE: For up to date information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) visit the UK Department of Health and Social Care.


Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access public healthcare provided in Luxembourg at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment until you return to the UK. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

Get the EHIC smartphone app

The European Commission has developed a useful multi-language free phone app, which explains how to use the EHIC card in different countries within the EU. It summarises the treatments, costs, procedure for reimbursement and emergency numbers.

If you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment, please see our section about seeking medical treatment in Europe.

Find help in emergencies

If you find yourself in a serious or life-threatening emergency or you need an ambulance, dial 112. Ambulance and air ambulance transport is free of charge in an emergency if you can present a valid EHIC.

Other important phone numbers to note down:

  • 113 – police
  • (+352) 22 98 64 – British Embassy in Luxembourg
  • (+352) 27 57 1 – Luxembourg National Health Fund (Caisse nationale de santé – CNS)

Make a note of the useful French phrases for emergencies below:

  • I have had an accident                   J'ai eu un accident
  • It's an emergency                          C'est une urgence
  • I need an ambulance                     J'ai besoin d'une ambulance
  • I need a doctor                             J'ai besoin d'un médecin
  • Where is the nearest hospital?       Où se trouve l'hopital le plus proche?
  • Where is the nearest pharmacy?    Où se trouve la pharmacie la plus proche?

Emergency services and out of hours care is rotated among the main hospitals in Luxembourg. You can find out which hospital is providing emergency care in your area by checking the local newspapers or the LuxWeb website.

Health services and costs

Your EHIC does not cover private treatment. Ensure you are treated by a healthcare provider that has a contract with the Luxembourg National Health Fund (Caisse nationale de santé – CNS)

You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

You may be asked to pay your bill up front for any medical care you receive and then claim a refund later using your EHIC. See the 'How to claim refunds' section below for more information about this.

Make sure you keep all receipts and/or prescriptions you are given so you can use them to claim a reimbursement if necessary.

Doctors, specialists and dentists

You may consult any doctor  or dentist you wish while in Luxembourg as they all work with the CNS, and you can go directly to a specialist without a referral. However, you must seek approval from the CNS in advance for some dental treatments. Ensure you can present a valid EHIC at your appointment.

Doctor and dentist fees can vary, but you may be entitled to a reimbursement of some of the cost.

  • doctor's appointment - usually you have to pay 88% of the official tariff. Make sure you are given a receipt for any amount you pay.
  • doctor's visit at home - you have to pay 20% of the minimum cost of a home visit.
  • dental treatment - beyond an annual amount of 60 € fully reimbursed, dental care is reimbursed at the rate of 88%. Specific reimbursement rates and conditions apply for dental prostheses.

Hospital treatment

All hospitals in Luxembourg have a contract with the CNS, so hospital treatment is normally free of charge. You must, however, present your EHIC on admission.

In-patients pay a non-refundable standard daily fee of currently EUR 20,93 (this is limited to a maximum of 30 days per calendar year). Children under 18 do not have to pay this daily fee. There may also be a charge you need to pay directly to the doctor treating you but you maybe be able to claim a reimbursement from the CNS. Ensure you keep any receipts.

You'll also have to pay for any optional extras, e.g. a single room.


You can take your prescription to any pharmacy in Luxembourg. However, some prescriptions must be authorised by the CNS before you can obtain the medicine. How much you are reimbursed depends on the medicine required. You should therefore ask the doctor whether you need to contact the CNS.

Ambulance including air ambulance

Ambulance and air ambulance transport is free of charge in an emergency if you can present a valid EHIC.

Non-emergency transport is covered up to 70% of the bills. You care charged with 1,12 € / km, with a minimum amount of 34 € per trip. Only transportation arriving at or departing from a hospital is covered and on the prescription must be indicated that, for medical reasons, the patient needs to be transported in a reclining or immobilised position.

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

The most common treatments or conditions that require advanced arrangements are listed below. For all other conditions or treatments, you should consult your doctor. Remember, for all treatments abroad you must present your EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You’ll also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

You should contact the national health fund (Caisse nationale de santé - CNS) for assistance.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK, however, most suppliers will be able to advise you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

BOC: covers the East and North East of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the South of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Its website offers general advice about going on holiday with a lung condition, including advice on:

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You will need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Hungary nearest to where you will be staying. You can look up UK renal units on The Renal Association website.

Ensure you make arrangements according to your UK schedule. There may be different guidance, depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel. The National Kidney Federation website offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for haemodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients and guidelines for transplant patients.

Routine diabetic care, such as blood tests

Blood tests are covered by healthcare insurance, but a prescription is necessary.

Any other specialist treatment

If you need to receive any other specialist treatment, such as chemotherapy or other prescriptions, again it may be advisable to make arrangements for this in advance of your trip. Some treatments abroad require prior approval from your local NHS commissioner and are not covered by the EHIC. It is advisable to speak with your GP before you go abroad. You should also read the section about Planned treatment abroad.

The following hospitals may be able to help you arrange your chemotherapy in Luxembourg

Living in Luxembourg

If you move to Luxembourg long-term or plan to work there, you'll need to register with the Centre Commun de la Sécurité Sociale (CCSS), or your employer will have to do this on your behalf. Once you are registered to work and make social security contributions, you'll receive a social security card entitling you to state provided healthcare on the same basis as a citizen of Luxembourg.

If you are a worker seconded abroad your employer should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for the following forms:

  • A1 – this will show that National Insurance contributions are paid in the UK
  • S1 (previously E106 or E109) – this will give you and your family the same medical cover as residents of Luxembourg

Note: Ensure when you submit the forms that you mention relevant family members and dependants.National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - closed weekends and bank holidays

For more information, visit the Moving abroad section.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the CCSS before you register with your local GP surgery.


If you are living in Luxembourg and you receive a UK State Pension or any other benefit that can be paid to you when you move abroad (exportable benefit), you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for form S1 (a certificate of entitlement) from the International Pension Centre on 0191 218 7777.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the CCSS.

Early retirees

Since July 1 2014, you are no longer able to apply for a residual S1 form.
If you already have a residual S1, this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date.

How to claim refunds

Travellers to Luxembourg carrying an EHIC may be entitled to refunds for medical costs incurred. You may not be reimbursed in full, because some state-covered healthcare in Luxembourg must be paid for in part by the patient. You will need to submit the original bill and a proof of payment to the CNS to be reimbursed. Also needed are a copy of your European Health Insurance Card, your address of residence and your bank details. Confirmation of your refund will be sent to your home address. Remember to keep copies of anything you send for your records.

Reimbursements are claimed directly from the Caisse nationale de santé (CNS), the Luxembourg National Health Fund.

Caisse nationale de santé (CNS)
125 Route d’Esch
L-1471 Luxembourg

Telephone: (+352) 27 57 1

Details of regional CNS offices can also be found on the CNS website.

Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website