To find out what to do if you think you have symptoms, please visit Coronavirus symptom checker. Or visit our encyclopaedia page, which has general information and includes a BSL video.

NOTE: For up to date information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) visit the UK Department of Health and Social Care.


Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

Visitors to Malta

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access state-provided healthcare in Malta if you go there on holiday or on a business trip.

The EHIC covers you for emergency treatment and for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions. It does not cover you if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment. In this case, see our section about Seeking medical treatment in Europe.

The EHIC also covers you for routine maternity care provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

Find help in emergencies

If you find yourself in a serious, life-threatening emergency, call 112. This is the emergency number for ambulance, fire services and the police. Calling 112 is free of charge.

Other important phone numbers to note:

  • +356 2545 0000 – main hospital, Malta
  • +356 2156 1600 – Gozo Hospital
  • +356 2122 4001-7 – Malta police force
  • +356 2124 4371 – emergency helicopter rescue
  • +356 2123 8797 – emergency patrol boat rescue

Health services and costs

The Maltese public healthcare system is funded by taxation and national insurance in a similar way to the NHS in England.

If you move to Malta, you will have to pay contributions to the national insurance system, which in return gives you access to public healthcare.

If you are just visiting Malta and need healthcare, you need to have a valid EHIC to receive free public healthcare. Note the EHIC does not cover private treatment.

Be careful if healthcare arrangements are made by hotel staff or a travel representative. You might be told that you can claim back whatever is paid out, but if you receive private treatment, you will only be able to claim back your costs if you have private medical insurance.

If you need to call out a doctor in an emergency and you want the free treatment available under the EHIC, make sure you ask for state-funded healthcare.

It's always advisable to have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. Repatriation for medical treatment is not covered by the EHIC.

Remember to keep all receipts and any paperwork (make copies if necessary) as they might be needed by you or your insurance company to apply for a refund.


There are eight public health centres in Malta and Gozo. These centres provide general practitioner and nursing services, as well as specialised health services such as immunisation, speech and language therapy, antenatal and postnatal clinics, and wound clinics.

Find a public health centre.


You'll need a GP referral for any specialist or non-emergency hospital treatment.

The main public hospitals are the Mater Dei in Msida and the General Hospital in Gozo.


Acute emergency dental treatment is provided free of charge. However, you should seek a public hospital or health centre, as it is not widely available. Most dentists practise privately. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are not refundable under EHIC arrangements.


Any medication prescribed during inpatient treatment or for the first three days after you are discharged is free. You must show your EHIC. However, you will be charged in full for anything prescribed after this period. These charges are not refundable under EHIC arrangements.

If you have a condition that requires you to bring your own medicines to Malta, you should have a letter from you GP stating what the medicines are and why you need them.

If any of your medicines fall into the controlled drugs category, you need to comply with regulations on drugs exports in the UK.


Pharmacies are open during normal shopping hours. On Sundays, chemists open on a roster from 9am-12.30pm in Malta and from 7.30-11am in Gozo. 

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

Although your EHIC covers the provision of oxygen, renal dialysis and routine medical care, you'll have to arrange and pre-book medical treatment before you go. You should always consult your GP or hospital before travelling. Also ensure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider, as these are not covered by the EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You will have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK, but most suppliers will be able to advise you on what to do.

Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Air Products: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580.

BOC: covers the east and north east of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the south of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about how to make travel arrangements, including advice on:

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You should speak to the co-ordinator in your UK dialysis unit before you travel. They will contact the dialysis unit in Malta nearest to where you will be staying. The provision of dialysis will be subject to availability in Malta. The Renal Association website has a list of renal units in the UK.

Ensure you make your arrangements according to your UK schedule. Also, there may be different guidance depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel.

The National Kidney Federation website offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for haemodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients and guidelines for transplant patients.

Living in Malta

Working in Malta

If you move to Malta long-term or plan to work in the country, you'll have to register with the Maltese authorities at a local social security office. Find a social security district office in Malta.

If you are a worker seconded to Malta or the family member of someone making UK National Insurance contributions, your employer should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for the following forms:

  • A1 – this will show that NI contributions is paid in the UK
  • S1 (previously E106 or E109) – this will give you and your family the same medical cover as Maltese residents

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - closed weekends and bank holidays

For more information, visit the Moving abroad section.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the Maltese Ministry of Health Entitlement Unit, which will issue you with a certificate of entitlement. You will need to show this form when seeking treatment in public health facilities.

Ministry of Health
Entitlement Unit
Ground Floor
St Luke's Hospital
St Luke's Square
Guardamangia Hill
Malta PTA 1010

Studying in Malta

If you are moving to Malta to study or are currently studying in Malta as part of a UK-recognised course, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK government.

Also read:


If you are living in Malta and you receive a UK State Pension, or any other benefit that can be paid to you when you move abroad (exportable benefit), you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for form S1 (a certificate of entitlement) from the International Pension Centre on 0191 218 7777.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the Maltese Ministry of Health Entitlement Unit, which will issue you with a certificate of entitlement. You will need to show this form when seeking treatment in public health facilities.

Once you have registered your S1 in Malta, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries outside Malta, including when you return to the UK.

Early retirees

Since July 1 2014 you are no longer able to apply for residual S1 form. If you already have a residual S1 this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date.

Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website