To find out what to do if you think you have symptoms, please visit Coronavirus symptom checker. Or visit our encyclopaedia page, which has general information and includes a BSL video.

NOTE: For up to date information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) visit the UK Department of Health and Social Care.


Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

The Swiss healthcare system is a combination of public, subsidised private and fully private systems.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in Switzerland at a reduced cost and will cover your treatment until you return to the UK. It also covers the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, providing the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth outside of the UK. No cost participation is required for maternity benefits.

Non-EEA nationals are not covered in Switzerland, unless you are a stateless person or a refugee.

Get the EHIC smartphone app

The European Commission has developed a useful multi-language free phone app, which explains how to use the EHIC card in different countries within the EU. It summarises the treatments, costs, procedure for reimbursement and emergency numbers.

If you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment, please see our section on seeking medical treatment in Europe.

Find help in emergencies

If you find yourself in a serious, life-threatening emergency, you should go to the accident and emergency (A&E) unit (Notaufnahme) of the nearest hospital. Most public hospitals have an A&E open around the clock.

If you need an ambulance, dial 144. This is free of charge from any public phone. Ambulance services will only transport the patient, so you will need to make your own way to the hospital. The healthcare system pays 50% of the costs – at the most, CHF500 per calendar year. In the case of medically required transport, 50% of the cost is paid, and a maximum of CHF5,000 per calendar year is paid in the case of rescue.

You will need to pay some of the cost of the ambulance yourself. Therefore, it is better to only call an ambulance if the patient is not in a fit state to go by car, taxi, bus or tram.

It is important that you stay calm and provide the following details when calling emergency services in Switzerland:

  • who you are
  • where you are calling from
  • what has happened
  • what action you have already taken

For more information, download the In an emergency leaflet (PDF, 1.45Mb).

If you need urgent medication out of hours, try one of the emergency pharmacies known as Apotheken-Notfalldienste. You can find a pharmacy closest to where you are staying on the SOS pharmacy website.

Other important phone numbers to note down are:

  • 117 – police
  • 118 – fire
  • 1414 – Swiss Air-Rescue
  • 1811 – general inquiries (doctors, theatres, etc)
  • 140 – breakdown service
  • 162 – weather report
  • 163 – road report
  • 187 – avalanche report

Health services and costs

Your EHIC does not cover private treatment, so make sure you are treated by a state-funded healthcare provider. Some healthcare providers offer both services in Switzerland. You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

Contact the Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG before you travel for more advice:

Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG
Gibelinstrasse 25
CH-4503 Solothurn

Telephone: +41 (0) 32 625 30 30

  • Monday to Thursday: 8am-12pm and 1.30pm-5pm
  • Friday: 8am-12pm and 1.30pm-4pm

Alternatively, you can use the contact us form on the KVG website (available in English). Here you can also download information leaflets in English relating to healthcare coverage in Switzerland.

You can find GPs (Ärzte), dentists (Zahnärzte), pharmacies (Apotheken) or hospitals (Krankenhäuser/Spitäler) via the telephone directory. There is also an online version of the Swiss yellow pages.

Remember to keep all receipts and any paperwork (make copies if necessary) as they might be needed by you or your insurance company to apply for a refund or reimbursement.

If you move to Switzerland long-term or plan to work in the country, you'll have to register with one of the state health insurance companies. You'll have to pay a monthly health insurance premium, as well as a contribution to the costs when seeing a doctor.

For more information, see the Health guide to Switzerland (PDF, 2.79Mb). This guide is intended to help people living in Switzerland – and particularly migrants – to understand how to use the Swiss healthcare system. It contains information about medical care and explains important laws and regulations, as well as health and disability insurance.


Dental treatment is not covered unless it is caused by serious illness or an accident. For more information, read the Dental care leaflet (PDF, 1.59Mb).


Except for emergencies, you'll need to be referred by a doctor for any hospital treatment. Either provide your EHIC or proof of your Swiss health insurance at admission. Inpatient treatment in a public hospital is covered according to the current tariffs, but not in a semi-private or private ward, or in a private hospital.

For more information, read the At hospital leaflet (PDF, 1.50Mb).


Medicines and bandages prescribed by your GP can be obtained from any pharmacy in exchange for the prescription.

Pharmacies also have an out-of-hours service at weekends and at night. You can ask the telephone information service which pharmacy near you is open after hours. Simply dial 1818. Information is available in German, French, Italian and English.

Note: you will have to pay extra if you buy medicines at an out-of-hours pharmacy.

For more information, download the Pharmacy guide (PDF, 1.88Mb).

A pharmacist may ask you if you prefer the original medicine or a generic version. Generic medicines are the same as original medicines but have a different name. Things to note:

  • They contain the same active ingredients as the original, but they are much cheaper.
  • If you buy generic medicines, you still need to pay the deductible of 10%. For original medicines, you often have to pay a deductible of 20% if a generic version is available.
  • Pharmacists are allowed to replace the originals prescribed by your doctor with the generic equivalent, unless the doctor has specifically mentioned that the original medicine must be given.
  • When collecting your medicines, always ask the pharmacist for the generic version.

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases, you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You’ll also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK; however, most suppliers can advise you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information, visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

BOC: covers the East and North East of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the South of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about how to make travel arrangements, including advice on:

Allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Switzerland nearest to where you will be staying. The Renal Association has a list of UK renal units.

Ensure you make your arrangements according to your UK schedule. There may be different guidance, depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel. In addition, visit the National Kidney Federation (NKF) website, which offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for haemodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients and guidelines for transplant patients.

Living in Switzerland

Everyone living in Switzerland must have health and accident insurance. This basic insurance coverage is compulsory for everyone, regardless of their age, origin or residence status. You have three months to take out insurance after a birth or moving to Switzerland.

There are more than 60 health insurance companies in Switzerland. Every health insurance company offers the same benefits in the basic health insurance policy. These benefits are laid down in the Health Insurance Act (KVG). For an overview of the health insurance companies in Switzerland, see

For more information, download the Health insurance leaflet (PDF, 1.51Mb) or contact the KVG directly:

Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG
Gibelinstrasse 25
CH-4503 Solothurn

Telephone: +41 (0) 32 625 30 30 
Monday to Thursday: 8am-12pm and 1.30pm-5pm
Friday: 8am-12pm and 1.30pm-4pm

The KGV also provides leaflets with information for persons who are insured with a health insurance in an EU or EFTA-state (European Free Trade Association).

You should also read the information on GOV.UK about living in Switzerland.

If you are a worker seconded to Switzerland or the family member of someone making UK National Insurance (NI) contributions, your employer should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for the following forms:

  • A1 – this will show that NI contributions are paid in the UK
  • S1 (previously E106 or E109) – this will give you and your family the same medical cover as Swiss resident

Note: Ensure when you submit the forms that you mention relevant family members and dependants.

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - closed weekends and bank holidays

For more information, visit the Moving abroad section.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG before you register with your local GP surgery.


If you are living in Switzerland and you receive a UK State Pension, or any other benefit that can be paid to you when you move abroad (exportable benefit), you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for form S1 (a certificate of entitlement) from the International Pension Centre on 0191 218 7777. Once issued, register the S1 form with the Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG before you register with your local GP surgery.

Once you have registered your S1 in Switzerland, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries outside Switzerland, including when you return to the UK.

Early retirees

Since July 1 2014, you are no longer able to apply for a residual S1 form.
If you already have a residual S1, this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date.

Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website