Pregnancy Guide

Maternity and Paternity Benefits

This page lists the benefits you're entitled to when you're pregnant, and has information on maternity and paternity leave. It also lists other benefits you might be able to receive, depending on your circumstances.

Leave and time off

When you're pregnant, you're entitled to up to a year of maternity leave.

Statutory Maternity Leave

All employed pregnant women are entitled to 52 weeks (one year) of maternity leave, no matter how long they've worked for their employer. This is made up of 26 weeks of ordinary maternity leave and 26 weeks of additional maternity leave. You have a range of rights during this period and can also request that your employer provides flexible working arrangements if you decide to return to work at the end of your leave. Find out more about statutory maternity leave.

Gov.UK has an online tool that can give you personalised guidance on maternity rights.

Your employment terms, for example your pension contibutions, are protected while you are on Statutory Maternity Leave. If you are made redundant while on Statutory Maternity Leave, you also have extra rights.

Working when pregnant

If you're pregnant, your employer must protect your health and safety, and you may have the right to paid time off for antenatal care. You are also protected against unfair treatment.

If you enjoy your work and like the people you work with, you may have mixed feelings when you get maternity leave. Try to make the most of these few weeks to enjoy doing the things you want to do at your own pace. It's also a good opportunity to make some new friends. You may meet other pregnant women you want to keep in touch with at antenatal classes, or you may get to know more people living close by.  Find out your maternity rights at work.

Planning childcare

You may have decided that you're going to spend some time at home with your baby, or you may be planning to return to work, either full time or part time, fairly soon after the birth. If you plan to go back to work, start thinking in advance about who will look after your baby. It's not always easy to find satisfactory childcare arrangements, and it may take you some time.

You may have a relative who is willing to look after your child. If not, contact the Family Information Service at your local authority for a list of registered childminders and nurseries in your area. Gov.UK has more information about childcare. You may also want to think about organising care in your own home, either on your own or sharing with other parents.

Care in your own home does not need to be registered, but make sure that your carer is experienced and trained to care for babies. The Gov UK website has more information on childcare benefits, tax credits and other help for working parents

Returning to work after Statutory Maternity Leave

You have employment rights and responsibilities when you go back to work. Make sure you know what these are and what to do if you have any problems or you are denied your rights. Find out more about returning to work after Statutory Maternity Leave.

Requesting flexible working

Parents of children aged 16 and under, or of disabled children aged 18 and under, are entitled to request a flexible working pattern. You need to follow a specific procedure when makiing your request. Find out more about asking for flexible working.

Paternity leave

If you are a father-to-be or a pregnant woman's partner - including same same-sex partner - you could have the right to paternity leave. You may have the right to up to 26 weeks' Additional Paternity Leave. Find out more about paternity leave. Gov.UK has an online tool that can give you personalised guidance on paternity rights at work.

Benefits for pregnant women

There are benefits and financial help for pregnant women, whether they are employed or not.

Dental care

NHS dental treatment is free while you are pregnant and for 12 months after you have given birth. To claim for dental treatment, tick a box on a form provided by the dentist and show your exemption certificate.

Healthy Start

Free milk, instant formula, vitamins, fruit and vegetables for pregnant women receiving certain benefits, and for all pregnant women under 18. Find out more on the Healthy Start website.

Tax credits

Child Tax Credit gives financial support for children, and Working Tax Credit helps people in lower-paid jobs by topping up their wages. Find out more about tax credits.

Statutory Maternity Pay

A weekly payment from your employer to help you take time off before and after your baby is born. Find out more about Statutory Maternity Pay, including when you need to tell your employer that you're pregnant.

Maternity Allowance

If you're pregnant or have a new baby but don't qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay, you might be able to claim Maternity Allowance through Jobcentre Plus. Find out more about Maternity Allowance, including how to apply.

Statutory Paternity Pay

If your wife, partner (including same-sex partner) or civil partner gives birth or adopts a child, you may be able to claim Statutory Paternity Pay to help you take time off work to support her. Find out more about Statutory Paternity Pay, including when you need to let your employer know that you're expecting.

Statutory Adoption Pay

A weekly payment from your employer to help you take time off if you adopt a child. Find out more about Statutory Adoption Pay, including how and when to let your employer know.

Other financial help

Sure Start Maternity Grant - If you're on a low income and get certain benefits or tax credits, and if there are no other children under 16 in your family, you could get this one-off payment.

Jobseeker's Allowance - The main benefit for people of working age who are out of work.

Income Support - If you can't be available for full-time work and haven't got enough money to live on, you might qualify for Income Support, depending on your circumstances.

Employment and Support Allowance - This has replaced Income Support for people who can't work because of illness or disability.

Housing Benefit - You might be eligable for help with all or part of your rent if you're on a low income.

Support for Mortgage Interest - Help with mortgage interest repayments if you receive certain benefits.

Council Tax Benefit - You might be eligible for help with paying your council tax if your income is low.

Budgeting loans - You could get a Budgeting Loan to help pay for essential things like furniture, clothes, moving costs or hire purchase debts.

Where to get help and support

You should get advice on benefits as soon as you find out you're pregnant. Benefits have to be claimed on different forms, from different offices, depending on what you're claiming. Maternity rights are complex and sometimes change, so get further advice if you're not sure. There are many voluntary organisations that are happy to help, so don't hesitate to ask for advice to get an opinion. You can contact and of the following organisations:

  • your local Jobcentre Plus
  • Citizens Advice Bureau
  • library or other advice centre

To find local advice agencies, look in your Yellow Pages under Counselling and Advice:

  • Some local authorities have welfare rights officers - phone your social services department and ask
  • Some voluntary organisations give information and advice on benefits and rights at work - try Gingerbread and Working Families
  • For advice on rights at work, call ACAS on 08457 474747
  • If you're 19 or under, you can get advice on work from the Careers Helpline for Young People on 0800 100 900.


Last Updated: 08/11/2017 14:30:23
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website