Pregnancy Guide

Support for Young Mums

If you are a young mum or teenager who is pregnant, there is a wide range of services to support you during pregnancy and after you have had your baby. Your midwife or health visitor can give you details of local services.

If you are on your own

If you are pregnant and on your own, it is even more important that there are people with whom you can share your feelings and who can offer you support.

Sorting out problems, whether personal or medical, is often difficult when you are by yourself, and it's better to find someone to talk to than let things get you down. For more information, see Coping if you're alone. The following national organisations can also give you help and advice.

  • Sexwise – if you think you may be pregnant, you can get confidential advice from the Sexwise helpline on 0800 282930. Find out about doing a pregnancy test.
  • Brook – if you are under 25, you can visit a Brook centre for free, confidential advice, or email them via Ask Brook.

Carrying on with your education

Becoming a mother doesn't have to mean the end of your education. If you are still of compulsory school age (any time before the last Friday in June of the year of your 16th birthday), your school should not exclude you on grounds of pregnancy or health and safety issues connected with your pregnancy. However, they may talk to you about making alternative arrangements for your education. You will be allowed up to 18 calendar weeks off school before and after the birth.

After your return to education, you can receive help with childcare costs through the Care to Learn scheme. Care to Learn also provides support with childcare costs for teenage parents above compulsory school age who want to take up learning.

For more information about Care to Learn, call 0800 121 8989.

Somewhere to live

Many young mothers want to carry on living with their own family until they are ready to move on. If you are unable to live with your family, your local authority may be able to help you with housing. Some local authorities provide specialised accommodation where young mothers can live independently while getting support and advice from trained workers.

For more information about housing, contact your local authority.

Last Updated: 16/04/2021 14:50:35
The information on this page has been adapted by NHS Wales from original content supplied by NHS UK NHS website